Gamer Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mirror's Edge Demo Review

Go down 
+2
theoreticallyme
The Uber n00b3r
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Uber n00b3r
Pie Master
Pie Master
The Uber n00b3r

Male Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Mirror's Edge Demo Review Empty
PostSubject: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 7:40 pm

this is my first actual review, so meh, i'll try to touch on all subjects in it
sorry if it's short, demo isn't too long:

In "Mirror's Edge" you play as a Runner named Faith who is just coming back after a hard fall she took that had put her out of commission for a while. Set in a world not far in the future where the government took control of the people by force, it went from rotten and disgusting, to clean in what looks like over- night. This game sure does show it as such, even the garbage looks clean enough to wanna sift through and eat. It's beautiful, the graphics, the characters, everything.

Lets start with what you see.. you never see outside of yourself unless it's covering a wide area, all your running, all your throwing of packages, jumping in helicopters, disarming guards, it's ALL done from the first person perspective, they really want you to feel this story and put you in the mindset of free- running in it's most extreme. Although you can see your hands and see your legs and feet [stupid to focus on, but i like the fact they do this, that way you aren't just some floating camera]
As far as it being all white and blahblahblah, you actually see some colors, why is that building orange? why did that fence turn red? how come the stairwell is blue? This is called Runner Vision, able to be turned off, but by default, turned on, the runner sees these because it's like a trigger in the mind saying "All of these are possibly going to be used in my objective." for example, I go up red stars, wall- run off of orange billboard, and jump onto red crane, run down red crane and get to the objective blue area. but as before mentioned, able to be turned off, no worries.

There are some times that will have you throwing your controller into a wall though, some pretty hard things to execute, and if you miss by a few inches you will fall and have to repeat this task until you get it right. EA tried to help your progress along with this little X button that give you an adrenaline rush and slowwwwws dooowwwnnn tiiiiimmee. If you are wondering if it actually helps, it does, it gives you the vital seconds needed to aim where you are jumping and pull off the otherwise hard feat.

They did an excellent job trying to show how fragile you are, a few bullets will kill you... but they would in real life, and 4 enemies can scare you shitless. But this doesn't come without this burst of I'MTHINKINGLIKEARUNNERNAO! kind of feeling, because when running from enemies in fear for your life, they do a good job at not only giving you a few options to get away, but all of a sudden, this feeling you get from how well they throw you into it, i dunno, it's something you have to experience yourself. When NOT running and taking on a horde of enemies and it's a 'lil more even, the combat is really simple, but can get very deep, yes there are more buttons to press than one, but that only adds to it, you can jump kick, disarm, slide kick, wall jump kick, and there's probably even more later on.

The sound is top notch too, hearing a heli come in after you, only to use that same heli to get away from a horde of enemies is pretty epic, as you hear bullets whiz past your head all while hearing the cityscape below and someone screaming in your ear to get the hell away, it all flows together into a nice little package. The music is something you would hear off a snowboarding game like SSX or something, not the pop tracks, or rock music, but the electronica you'd wanna hear while trekking off a 5000 foot monster, and why not? you are on top of buildings in a very clean world, it's beautiful.

i'm not sure about multiplayer, but there are race modes if you can snag a code off Gamestop, which if you preorder it you can get a runner Messenger Bag which is pretty nice looking btw, and guaranteed to get it as long as you get it on the first day it's out.

All in all, this game is amazing, and the demo is just a taste of the sweet honey pot waiting for us in the full release of the game. so far i'd give it a 9.5/10
seriously, imagine if Portal and Assassin's Creed had a baby, this would be it's better looking daughter, you know, the one where it's grown up and you say "seriously? those are your parents? DAMN they are ugly compared to you"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/48651140
theoreticallyme
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
theoreticallyme

Male Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 10:32 pm

/agreed.
Back to top Go down
STON3 MINISTER
Pie Master
Pie Master
STON3 MINISTER

Male Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 11:32 pm

oh my word, i just played the demo, very pretty, good first bit. U dive right into action, and i love the creativity needed to play it.
Back to top Go down
Mikena2007
Alliance Elite
Alliance Elite
Mikena2007

Male Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 3:45 am

its pretty dam good
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/breadwinnermike
The Uber n00b3r
Pie Master
Pie Master
The Uber n00b3r

Male Number of posts : 448

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:11 pm

lol i beat it without using guns in under a day, then got an offer to sell it for 40
guess what i got now xD

it is wickedly short
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/48651140
Nicole Legend
Alliance Elite
Alliance Elite
Nicole Legend

Female Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 11:34 pm

jared traded it in the next day and got the full 60 back...oh how we love having connections in the mall.
Back to top Go down
STON3 MINISTER
Pie Master
Pie Master
STON3 MINISTER

Male Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 5:31 pm

good to know thanks guys, this'll be a rent for me.
Back to top Go down
mediaflare
Alliance Elite
Alliance Elite
mediaflare

Male Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 6:08 pm

nom nom yupp!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge Demo Review   Mirror's Edge Demo Review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mirror's Edge Demo Review
Page 1 of 1